Sunday, September 8, 2013

What is this brass.....

Whats is this brass item? I recently bought this along with some other items at a auction what is it? I believe it is part of a light, possibly even part of a headlight. This is 10 inches tall. This has two handle which open the door. Notice how it is curved and also notice how it looks like it slides onto another part.







UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!! UPDATE!!!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Someone has shown me a picture of something very very similar besides that the one they showed me is not curved. This was definitely an oil lamp, the burner fit up thru the big hole on the one end and a reservoir was under it. I am still not sure what this lamp was used for or on but it is without a doubt an oil lamp of some sort. Thanks to everyone who has helped me try and figure out what this was and please if you do see one that is curved like this let me know what it was used for. 
  

4 comments:

  1. Just to let you know, this is spreading on Facebook. So far, no one in my circles or two of my friends circles knows what it is. But there's some interesting speculation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I go to a lot of auctions and have seen a lot of stuff but not nothing quite like this that curve throws me. So far most think its a light or lantern. Someone from UK said a carriage light.

      Delete
    2. One of my friends' friends said the same thing. I'm still not sure how that would work, but I found images on eBay that aren't altogether UNlike the one you posted. My guess is that if it is a light of some sort, the lens would be on that curved part . . . somehow.

      I hope you find an answer. :)

      Delete
  2. It could be the casing for a home-based magic lantern.

    ReplyDelete